These high protein asian vegan noodles are sweet, savory, and delicious! This dish does take quite a bit of time to make, maybe about an hour total including prep and cook time but it’s so worth it.
Asian Vegan Peanut and Sesame Ramen Noodles with Tofu
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Frying pan
- Medium sized pot
- One package of ramen (I used Lotus Foods Organic Brown Rice Noodles – these are fairly high in protein with 4g of protein per serving or per 35g)
- Firm Tofu
- Sesame oil (or whatever oil you have on hand)
Sesame and Peanut Sauce
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 2 tsp flour
- 1 tsp lime or lemon juice
- A pinch of cayenne pepper or red chili flakes
- Green and red bell peppers
- Green onions (Unfortunately, I didn’t have any of these on hand but that’s what I’d put into this dish! I’d also garnish the dish with some chopped green onions, too.)
- First we’ll make our cubing the tofu. Using a knife and a cutting board, slice your tofu into small cubes. When cubed, set aside for later.
- Now make the sesame and peanut sauce. In a mixing bowl, add in the sesame and peanut sauce ingredients and wisk together til well combined.
- Now we’ll finish off the tofu. Coat your pan with oil on medium-high heat and then place cubed tofu onto the pan. Let it sear on each side before flipping. The trick to getting these to not stick is to be patient while these are searing one side at a time. If you flip them too soon, they will stick to the pan.
- When the tofu is nice and seared, add a little sauce to the pan and let the tofu caramelize. Give them a gentle stir every minute or so. After about 5 minutes or when they’ve crisped up, place the seared tofu in a bowl for later.
- Next, we’ll cook the ramen noodles. In a pot on high heat, add water and ramen noodles. Add enough water so that one or two inches is covering the noodles. When noodles are done, strain them in a colander and set aside for later.
- Now, in the same frying pan used for the tofu, add more oil and sauté garlic, ginger for 2 minute. Then add the red bell peppers and onion (I used a frozen bag of these) and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add cooked noodles to the pan.
- Add about half of the sauce to the pan and stir the noodles and veggies. Keep adding sauce until you get your preferred noodle-to-sauce ration.
- Add the seared tofu to the noodles and vegetables and stir.
- Turn the heat off and let it cool til it’s ready to be served!