These crunchy AF vegan curry chickpeas took me about 30 minutes to make. These crunchy chickpeas are great as a snack, in a salad, or as a crunchy ingredient for a falafel pita.
This recipe calls for a twice-baked chickpea protocol. Most crunchy chickpeas recipes I’ve seen only bake their chickpeas once. Baking them twice gives them that craveably crunch texture that makes them fun to eat. I got this pro tip from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken.
They definitely came up suuuper crunchy and delicious!
Crunchy AF Vegan Curry Chickpeas
This recipe used half a bag (8 oz) of dried chickpeas, so that’s what the ingredient portions are based on. Honestly though, you can just eyeball it because it’s really hard to mess these up.
- Baking sheet
- Mixing bowl
- 1/2 bags of dried chickpeas (8 oz) or canned chickpeas (I prefer dried because they’re more nutrient dense)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 chili powder
- Salt to taste
- If using dried chickpeas, soak them in a large bowl over two nights to soften them up. Add enough water so that theres at least 3 inches of water above the chickpeas as they will expand. After two nights have passed, drain the chickpeas in a colander and run your hands through them with a paper towel to wipe off excess water.
- Next, pre-heat your oven to 375°F. While the oven is pre-heating, place the chickpeas onto a baking sheet in an even layer. At this point no spiced are added to the chickpeas. The purpose of this step is to dry out and crisp up the chickpeas a bit.
- Once the oven reached 375°F, place your baking sheet with the chickpeas into the oven and let it bake for about 7-10 minutes.
- While the chickpeas are being pre-roasted, make the olive oil and spice coating. In a mixing bowl, add in olive oil, curry powder, chili powder, paprika, and salt to taste. Stir the mixture so that all ingredients are well combined.
- When the 7-10 minutes is up, remove the chickpeas and add them in the mixing bowl with the olive oil mixture. Stir the chickpeas so they all get a nice coating of the spices and olive oil.
- Next, move the chickpeas back onto the backing sheet and place it back into the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Check every 7 minutes or so to see if the chickpeas are crunchy!
- Once they’re crunchy, they’re ready to come out of the oven! Move the chickpeas from the baking sheet and onto a bowl. Let it cool for 5 minutes, then enjoy!
The following nutrition facts are estimates based on the recipe above.
- Fat 5g
- Carbohydrates 17g (5g of fiber)
- Protein 5.5g
- Calcium 30mg
- Iron 2mg
- Potassium 248mg